A partnership between VMware Inc. and Xsigo Systems Inc. will result in Xsigo's I/O virtualization product being integrated with ESX Server and its management software folded into VMware's Virtual Center GUI.
The I/O Problem
The resulting infrastructure involves a vast array of physical resources: adapter cards, networking switches, storage switches, and a maze of cables. Issues with large scale server I/O include:
- Inflexibility: Multiple interdependencies limit agility.
- High cost: I/O infrastructure cost (cards, switches) can exceed server cost.
- Management complexity: Multiple teams must coordinate even simple changes.
According to Xsigo the benefits of using their director are:
- Reduce server I/O cabling by 70%
- Cut connectivity capital costs by up to 50%
- Deploy connectivity to any server at any time
- Migrate connectivity among servers transparently
- Deliver 10Gb/s bandwidth to each server
- Integrate with existing management frameworks